Wednesday 18 August 2010

Are you lonely?


It's not just living alone that can make one lonely. It makes me smile that underneath that legend stenciled high on the wall is a line of posters advertising club nights and bars, as if to say "Here, you don't have to be alone any more". But being lonely is about more than being alone. I am most lonely in crowds. That's where I feel most out of place. A misfit. I am more likely to feel the bitter pang of isolation surrounded by a mass of people than I would sitting at home on my own.

Loneliness can be a beautiful thing. As Henry Rollins once said, "loneliness adds beauty to life. It puts a special burn on sunsets and makes night air smell better". Sometimes you need to feel the pain to appreciate the pleasure.

2 comments:

  1. "Loneliness is the human condition. Cultivate it. The way it tunnels into you allows your soul room to grow." -White Oleander

    ReplyDelete