Sunday 27 February 2011

I made these! Felt purse, birthday card and gift bag

Here's something I made... that's not made of yarn! I know, I know. It's a bit of a shocker. Still, it's nice to branch out.

The finished product is shown below, but for anyone who's interested in the detail or the making of the bag can see some more pics after the jump...



The first thing I completed was the purse. It was a pre-cut pattern with all the bits and pieces you needed to assemble it. I got two while I was in the shop and I'm going to keep the other one to use as a pattern and get other kinds of fabric I can use to make the purses with. The felt used for this is quite flimsy and I'd like to do something a bit more robust. It's pretty, though.




Next up was the birthday card. I have so much in terms of bits and pieces to make cards with and I hardly ever throw anything away. I have a whole wicker chest filled with scraps of handmade paper, ribbons and bits of silk rope out of things, tiny clothes pegs, felt, foam. All sorts of stuff. The card, the paper and the little squares of paper were things I've had for ages. The heart-topped peg clips I bought this week at the same time as I got the purse kit.


Finally, I wanted to make a gift bag to put the purse into. I had a pattern for a gift bag I've had for a while and have never had the occasion to use. Well, there's a first time for everything!




This is my pattern all drawn out on the back of the paper and cut in outline. I even think this looks kinda cool, but then I'm a bit of a geometry nerd. And here the tools for the job:



The paper is an off-cut of Laura Ashley wallpaper. I love the texture of it as well as the colours. So lovely.



And here it is, the finished, folded and stuck bag. I'll definitely be making more of these. People can expect to be getting lots of tiny presents in pretty gift bags from me in the foreseeable future!

No comments:

Post a Comment